Saturday, November 17, 2012

Road to…

Obama was re-elected, a decision I am disappointed in, but I do not think that the United States of America is any more doomed to destruction than we were two weeks ago. I voted for Governor Romney and I still believe he is the right man for the presidency. Romney has a strong character. He stays true to his guiding principles (his faith and conservativism) and is firm in standing for what is right. I’m not sure what Obama’s guiding principles actually are (does he agree with Jeremiah Wright? Does he want to be like his father he never knew? Is he really American…just kidding!). Romney’s record is clear of scandal, but there is mystery in Obama’s record, and possibly scandal on the horizon (Libya). Romney is older and wiser. Obama is young and inexperienced. Well, he was inexperienced four years ago, and I’m not sure if he is any wiser for the last four years of experience. Being Mormon, Romney shares my values (for the most part) and is willing to do hard things in order to make the right decisions. Obama doesn’t share my values (for the most part), but he does have his own goals. He does hard things in order to make what he believes to be the right decisions. Wait, what?!? Did I just say something good about Obama? Maybe I’m not in favor of his leadership, but I find that I just can’t vilify the guy. To me, far from being evil incarnate, Obama merely seems like a good Democrat. So why are Republicans, and specifically many LDS Republicans, so strongly convinced that Obama is evil? Romney had a loooong campaign, so we have had a lot of time to study the two men. Under scrutiny of character, Romney shines. He defies the stereotype of a selfish, dishonest politician. Obama fits the political stereotype, but only as well as many of his predecessors (Clinton, anyone?). In comparison with Romney, Obama is can seem worldly, and thus his policies and agenda come across as scheming. This juxtaposition of a man of extraordinary character and man who is average at best is what I believe leads to the hyperbole against Obama’s character. If we were to compare and contrast Obama with most politicians, I think we would find that Obama is quite average on a scale of evil. Thus America may be declining and the situation will not be helped through the reign of an average leader, but I do not fear the immediate future. We may be on the road to destruction, but I don’t think it’s the autobahn.

No comments:

Post a Comment